A USA TODAY bestseller. Now in Paperback.
At nineteen, Annie Black trades a bleak future in a washed out California town for a London winter of drinking and abandon. Twenty years later, she is a San Francisco lighting designer and happily married mother of three who has put her reckless youth behind her. Then a photo from that distant winter in Europe arrives inexplicably in her mailbox, and an old obsession is awakened. With psychological suspense, emotional depth and hypnotic prose, O. Henry Prize winner Jan Ellison delivers a brilliantly paced, beautifully written debut novel about one woman’s reckoning with a youthful mistake.
Newsletter & Blog
What's it really like to publish a novel? Sign up to receive my occasional letter, "True Stories from a First-Time Novelist," for the inside scoop on publishing, a new giveaway for each issue, tips for writers, book recommendations, special offers and new releases.
Sign Up Today
- How Much of This is True? And other questions authors dread
- The Helicopter Parenting of Baby Book
- A mother of teenagers on writing sex scenes
- The Mania of the end of year “Best of” Lists
- The Good, the Bad and the Mortifying of the Book Tour
- The Evolution of a Book's Cover